Treat Your Building as a Patient – Visible Light Disinfection
Program Overview: This presentation will describe the role of the environment in Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAI’s). It will specifically focus on the Operating Room and the concerns unique to that setting. Methods for improving environmental hygiene will be reviewed with attention given to a new class of solution-whole room disinfection. The use of this solution in the Operating Room will be presented examining the relevant details between the two primary categories (continuous vs. episodic).
Learning Objectives: After completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the types of Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAIs) and their collective impact upon the healthcare system.
- Explain how infections can be acquired through the built environment.
- Describe the range of solutions to improve environmental hygiene which are available to healthcare
- List the characteristics of specification-grade light fixtures that can reduce the spread of pathogens within the environment.
- Recognize the benefits of continuous environmental disinfection and the areas within a healthcare setting where it is best used.
Rich Stam is currently the southeast regional sales manager at Kenall Lighting and is an expert in application-specific lighting in residential, commercial, retail and hospitality environments. Prior to joining Kenall in 2012, Mr. Stam had worked in sales management with such manufacturers as Juno Lighting, Alico Industries and Solais LED Lighting. He has since developed additional application-specific lighting expertise in high abuse, correctional, healthcare, cleanroom, food processing and other lighting performance-critical environments.